Pancake Day is on Tuesday 21 February 2023. If you're looking for some quick and easy recipes to give your Shrove Tuesday a little glow up, we have just the thing. Our Head Chocolatier, Ricarte Mariz, is a master in his craft and has let us in on his secret recipe for Pancake Batter.
Trusty Pancake Recipe
Makes 8-10 Pancakes
125g Plain Flour
1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
2 Medium Eggs
275ml Full Fat Milk
25g of Butter (For Frying)
1. Place flour and salt in a mixing bowl, make a well in the centre and add the eggs, mixing well.
2. Gradually stir in half the milk, then beat thoroughly with a wooden spoon for 4-5 minutes.
3. Stir in the remaining milk, beat lightly. It is not necessary to allow to stand but if you do, beat again before using.
4. Gently heat a little butter in the frying pan, until it looks lightly greased.
5. Pour a little batter into the pan; tip pan to spread the batter and make a thin crepe like coating. Cook until the underside is golden brown and the top is covered in bubbles.
6. Toss or turn over and cook until other side is golden brown.
7. Place pancakes on a plate and store in a grill on a very low heat until you're ready to eat.
8. Continue making the pancakes until batter is used, adding a little butter to the pan each time to prevent the pancakes from sticking.
The art of a good pancake is also in the topping. We have a few recipes for marshmallows and decadent sauces, but Ricarte recommends Poached Rhubarb.
Ricarte's Recipe For Poached Rhubarb
300g of Rhubarb, the pinker the better
Zest of 1 Orange
80g Caster Sugar
1. Cut Rhubarb into fingers.
2. Place in a bowl and cover with sugar, water and orange zest and stir.
3. Place mixture in a pan and gently simmer for 5-8 minutes until cooked but the rhubarb still holds it shape.